Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fun with Miss Dog



Miss Dog spent the day at the vet yesterday. She now has a row of stitches on her lower abdomen, no reproductive ability and we are $700 worse off.   Miss Dog has strict instructions, she’s not allowed to run and jump for at least 5 days. Preferably ten.  This is laughable. If you knew Miss Dog, you’d be laughing right now.

I set her up in the lounge room first thing in the morning. Toys, blanket, water, barricade so she can’t leave the lounge room, tiny play pen in the corner. I sit at the dining room table with my work.  She sniffs around the whole room. She grabs at my dressing gown and starts trying to pull it off me. She grabs my notebook and starts to chew the paper edge. She grabs my scarves from the hat stand and starts to chew on them.  She knocks my water bottle down off the table and starts to chew on that.

She continues to smell everything around the room and then comes back to jump up on me.  She wriggles her head under my arm to reach the laptop and starts sniffing the keys.

Now I’m trying to get her in the play pen, she goes nuts, playing. She barks and me and takes off, running into the bathroom. She grabs a sock from the floor and jumps into the bath. I’m hobbling behind her, yelling.
Its been ten minutes since Mr Man left.  Great start.

I pull her out of the bath with lots of resistance and hope that her stitches are still intact. I finally get her back into the play pen where she looks at me mournfully.  I’m sorry. Miss. You aren’t allowed to play. What an awful thing to say to a puppy.  Now she is curled up in her corner, resting.  That’s better.

Ten minutes later she’s up at the table again trying to pull down whatever she can find. I take her outside for a walk. She drags me and my stiff braced leg around the yard. Sometimes she comes close to me and whacks the back end of her 25kg body against my leg. Ouch.   Right, back inside to do it all over again.

*Sighs* its going to be a long day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment