Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Yesterday I bought baby food for my kitten. Organic vegetable and tuna puree.  Yummo. 

I've done lots of research lately on the best diet for a kitten/cat. And I'm confused. 

At the orphanage, Kitty was eating a high quality dry food, so I bought some and she has been eating that. 

BUT then I was given info on a raw and natural diet for cats, which is far better for them than any processed foods. This website barf.com.au ( barf stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) says kittens can have raw meat and bones and vegetable matter. 

So then Kitty started having some liver and beef pieces which she kinda liked, as well as some dry food.

BUT then I read the official RSPCA feeding recommendations here kb.rspca.org.au and it says that kittens under 20 weeks should NOT have too much raw meat or liver. 

Oh lord, now I'm overdosing my kitten on Vitamins A and D.  

THEN I read this webite catinfo.com.au that states that cats should NEVER have dry food.  Its based on grains, way too high in carbs and not enough water and leads to lots of health problems.

So then I went to the shops and bought some high quality as-natural- as- possible wet food.  I looked at all the ingredients. Some of the cat food had cheese in it.   Really ? Cheese ? no thanks, put that one back.

 On the shelf was lots of milk for kittens too. Which I find amusing. Is that milk really from a cat? For a kitten ? Uh no. Its from a cow.  Why in the earth would a kitten want milk from a cow ?? 

I also bought some pureed baby food.  The BARF people say that kittens do need some fruit and vegetable matter but you have to be sneaky. So natural baby puree came to mind and I mixed it through Miss Kitty's fresh meat.  She loved it ! 




At the end of the day, I've decided that this kitten is just going to get a bit of everything. Little bit of grain free kibble that I found, little bit of wet food, little bit of veges, a little bit of meat and a bone treat on the weekends.    

Meanwhile, Miss Dog has been loving getting the left over meat that Kitty cant eat.  They'll be playing like loving siblings in no time.. *cough cough* 





No comments:

Post a Comment